Friday, February 21, 2014

Archaeology- Its Not About Dinosaurs: Top 5 Fictional Archaeologists

A long time ago in a city not so far away I dreamed about being an archaeologist. Saving lives, solving the mysteries of the Universe, beating up Nazis.


(Yeah, like that, but with a skirt)

Alas, that isn't how Archaeology works. Its a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. 


And no Dinosaurs....there's always someone who think Archaeologists dig up Dinosaurs


Also, no Aliens. I don't care what the "History Channel" says. Aliens do not count as history. Neither do Amish Mafias or Swamp Loggers. Do you executives over there hear me? No Aliens!

(Goddammit....)

Anyways, today I'm taking a look at my top 5 favorite fictional Archaeologists, which, sadly, do happen to deal with Aliens.....


5.)  Nathan Drake (Uncharted Series)

Sarcastic, self-educated, and always he first to realize how absurd his adventures are, there is no video-game Archaeologist quite like Nathan Drake. 

I've only played a bit of the Uncharted series, but from what I saw I liked it. Definitely more than Lara Croft....just can't like her. I mean, come on. She's like the Barbie of the video game world...not that any my top 5 are realistic...but still...besides being pretty is she even like-able?


4.) Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Ok, ok. I really wanted to put Picard higher on the list, but  couldn't do it in all good consciousness since he really doesn't do Archaeology as a living. He beats up Romulans, the Borg, and villains of-the-week instead. 

(the man knows how to bring the pain)

Still, that doesn't mean Picard didn't occasionally take up the Archaeology mantle and be friggin' awesome at it. The man discovered the origins of all life in the universe for crying out loud! And I bet he'd think the Ancient Aliens guy was a lunatic too!


(Yup, somewhere Picard is face-palming over the ancient aliens guy...)

3.) River Song

Does she really need an introduction? 



Archaeologist, time traveler, the Doctor's wife, the impossible astronaut, some other crazy stuff I wont spoil. Trust me, she's awesome. Also, hates Nazis. All good fictional Archaeologists should hate Nazis.


Not much else to say about River. She's just plain awesome!


2.) Indiana Jones

The mack-daddy of fictional Archaeologists himself. Who doesn't like Indy? Besides Nazis....and Communists...and that creepy cult guy from Temple of Doom.


 Indy has done it all, and always (sort of ) gets the ladies~ That opening scene whee he outruns the rolling boulder and the booby traps to get the golden idol? Priceless!



Plus, his dad is Sean Connery. James Bond.  The man doesn't care what you think and will mess you up if you mock him.
(Scottish swag requires a martini shaken, not stirred)

Alas, the main reason why Indy didn't top my list is The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Ugh, Aliens? Really? and Shia LeBeouf? Check out what South Park thinks to see what many think on the matter (disregard the China part). I get that the first 3 movies aren't exactly "life-like", but featuring aliens took it a little too far...

1.) Dr. Daniel Jackson

Archaeologist, Linguist, occasional bad-ass, Daniel Jackson is definitely on the top of my list.


Look at him, he's the epitome of Geeky cool. Plus, I'm pretty sure the guy is a time lord...he dies like, 6 times during Stargate's 10 season run. 



Anyways, Daniel Jackson's knowledge in Archaeology and Linguistics saved his friends' lives on countless occasions, even the Galaxy a couple of times. Also, despite how his character evolved over the seasons, he still stayed an academic geek at heart, which is why Daniel Jackson is my #1 fictional Archaeologist. Even with the constant presence of Aliens in the show. 

Plus, he face-palms with the best of them. I love a good face-palm.

(I think he and Picard would be BFFLs)


Well, there it is folks, my top 5 fictional Archaeologists. I do admit, there weren't many to begin with, but I think I did a pretty good job. A quick shout-out to all real Archaeologists out there that spend years in college and then years doing fieldwork. Definitely more bad-ass than anyone on this list. 

The people listed are more so action heroes than anything else, but really, isn't that why we love them?


Leave a comment letting me know what you think, be it that you hated my list or have your own top 5! Also, be sure to subscribe and share with others if you really like the blog : )

*Pinterest is God, all hail! Go there for Images.*

4 comments:

  1. I'd have to add Evelyn Carter from the Mummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops *Carnahan

      Delete
    2. Good one! I forgot about her, mostly remember Brendan Fraser from those movies : )

      Delete
  2. Just brilliant! Didn't know Picard discovered the origin of all life in the universe though...
    Indy just second? I was like "What? Who can be first now?"
    And then there was Daniel...
    I so totally agree! (although Nathan Drake would rank higher in my list)

    ReplyDelete

Be cool and leave a comment. Oh, and Beware: there be troll eating dragons!