Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mead Cupcakes and Mean Girls- You Go, Glen Coco!

Ah, Tuesday is here again I so love and cherish my days off. I guess I could put some funny picture or quote from Ferris Bueller here, but eh, I'm lazy.

So anyways, Mead Cupcakes! In honor of Renaissance Festival season I thought it was only appropriate to make a relevant cupcake. Besides, gives me an excuse to buy and drink more mead.


The recipe comes from Dog Hill Kitchen and is an altered recipe from the great and powerful Alton Brown. I did change somethings up a bit, like making a buttercream instead of a meringue icing. So here we go folks!
*Slight technical problem this week. I lost some of my pictures. So sad...*


Ingrediants:

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbs cornstarch
1/2tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
5 tbs sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs mead
2 tbs vegetable oil

1/2 cup butter, softened
1-2cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup mead
1-2 tbs honey, to taste

1.) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin
2.) In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.


2.) Beat together the egg yolks and 4 tbs sugar until it turn a light and airy yellow color




3.) Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until frothy. Add in slowly the remaining sugar as you continue to beat the egg whites. Beat until it can form shiny, stiff peaks.


4.) Add the mead and the oil to the egg yolk mix, then add in the flour. Stir until combined.

5.) Gently fold  in the egg white mixture until just combined. 

(K.Pond returns!)

6.) Put into the cupcake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes, should make 9-10 cupcakes. Drink mead in a goblet because you're a bad role model. 


7.) For the icing, beat the butter until light in color. Add in the mead and gradually add in the powdered sugar until it reaches your desired consistency. Add in the honey and ice!


Unfortunately, all the really pretty pics, and I did get some really, really good pics this time, got deleted when I tried to upload them : (  Still pretty good looking though! The cupcakes have a light honey mead flavor, and the icing has a very sweet honey flavor. Definitely keep an eye on them though, some of them burned and got really dried out. All in all, a pretty good cupcake!

Movies were also watched during this baking and drinking soiree, specifically Mean Girls.


Yeah, that Lindsay Lohan movie from before she went crazy. Don't judge, you know you've seen it and can quote all the best lines.


Its really the perfect background-noise, girl-day movie. Its got comedy, stupid teen movie drama, and Glen 
Coco.

Yes, you go Glen Coco. You go! I really don't care, its a very nostalgic movie for me....Stop with the judging glances!

Anyways, will you be attempting the mead cupcakes? Or maybe just the mead part. I won't judge. Leave a comment below and, as always, please subscribe and share if you likey~

*Pinterest, thanks for all the interesting Mean Girls memes. Very entertaining*

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm mead... I love me some mead... I've only had to get carried out of the renaissance festival once. The rest of the rest of the time I'm able to proudly stumble out. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mead is pretty amazing. I wish it was more accessible, I'd love to stumble around more. Lol

      Delete
  2. If you can get over to Total Wine and More they have a few shelves of different types ranging in price from just under $10 to about $20 a bottle. And they have a ton of different types of cider. I suggest Zombie Killer or Fang, if you want something delicious and have a couple extra bucks to blow.

    ReplyDelete

Be cool and leave a comment. Oh, and Beware: there be troll eating dragons!