Saturday, February 22, 2014

~Keep Calm and Eat Noodles~

I think everyone that has ever left their parents' house has fallen in love with at least one Asian take-out place. There really is nothing better than $4 Low Mien or Pad Thai.

(Didn't realize this was a cake until I put it here. Even better!)


Lucky for me, I lived with CaptainBarnes during college and am BFFLs with Psizzle, who is Asian, so I ate a good amount of Thai, Chinese takeout, and Vietnamese Pho.

(I love Pho soooooo much! OMNOMNOMNOM)

I can safely admit that I eat a lot of noodles. Having an Italian heritage automatically means I eat waay too much pasta. So I make up for that by eating rice noodles. It's different!!! You can't judge me!


Anyways, Peanut Noodles are a particular favorite of mine. Many a nights I have added peanut butter and soy sauce to Ramen noodles in a half-hearted attempt to eat something tasty and to forget how much sodium is in the little Ramen packet. 

(Can you tell I went to college?)

Finally, I decided to get serious and got pretty good at making fake Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles. But I  think I have finally found the best, simple peanut recipe, graciously shared on The Comfort of Cooking.

(Cooking for multiples = crud ton of noodles)

Ingrediants:

1/2 lb noodles (rice noodles, pasta, gluten free,  it doesn't matter)
1 1/2 tbs veggie/canola oil
2-3 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar (I used white balsamic, tasted just fine!)
1-2 tbs peanut butter
1 tbs honey (I added a little extra)
1tsp grated ginger (or ground, it worked out fine for me)
1 clove garlic, dived finely (i used 2....I'm Italian, we like garlic...)
3 scallions, diced (didn't have any, so i added a tsp of onion powder)
1/4 cup cilantro (I hate the stuff, so i used only a tad bit)
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 tbs sesame seeds

* I also added a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat and diced up an onion and some sweet peppers for some extra veggies. Oh, and I doubled the recipe, so don't be worried by how much I ended up with. You didn't mess up : )*



1.) Cook the noodles as directed.

2.) Dice up the onion and peppers, or your veggies of choice, and sautee them in a little oil, just until they're cooked and still crisp.

3.) In a large bowl, whisk together everything but the peanuts, sesame seeds, and cilantro (if you want to use it). Set aside.


Extra Step: I also toasted my peanuts to get a really rich and nutty taste. Just break them up and throw them in a hot sautee pan for a few minutes, until they get a little brown and smell awesome.


4.) Drain the noodles once they're cooked and toss with the sauce. Top with the peanuts, sesame seeds, and cilantro. Enjoy!

(At this point I was drooling too much to be patient and try to get a good picture)

The noodles are salty, savory, mildly sweet, and all around awesome. I will definitely be making this my go-to Peanut Noodles recipe.

So, what's your favorite noodle dish? Any tweaks you would do to this one? Leave a comment below and share if you likey~ I'd appreciate both!

*You know the drill, no images but of the food I make come from me. Le Pinterest is a kind mistress, check her out*

2 comments:

  1. I love myself some pad thai! If only there was an available fake recipe.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Internet is your oyster! Haha, joking. I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Be cool and leave a comment. Oh, and Beware: there be troll eating dragons!