Sunday, July 31, 2016

To Read or Not to Read- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child



So, after 8 long years J.K. Rowling has finally given the Harry Potter fandom another story- the book/script for her upcoming play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Which, according to the goddess herself, will be the last Harry Potter. Yeah, heard that before J.K. :p

Some time ago when I was much better about keeping up with this blog I wrote about my distress at not having Harry Potter frequenting my life anymore. Sure, there were movies and books to enjoy over and over again. The nostalgia of reliving my childhood held me over these last few years since the final movie was released in 2011.



However, upon hearing of the play's novelization I didn't get excited. I didn't even end up going to the midnight festivities or reserve a copy (in my defense I just moved to a new state and know absolutely no one :/ ) I don't know if its just my recent apathy for things, see my revisit of American Gods for more on this, or if I'm still getting over the fanfiction train wreck that was the most recent Vampire Chronicles book, Prince Lestat. Seriously, I don't defend the later books in the series but hot damn.

Plus, I've heard very mixed reactions about The Cursed Child and one reviewer even compared it to Prince Lestat in its fanfiction-y feeling. Maybe I just don't want to be disappointed, to read something that made up such a huge part of my life up until a few years go. Maybe I don't want that disappointment to reflect on the series as a whole and, in affect, my own life.

I guess I'll give it a read when my local library gets a copy. Perhaps by then I'll be more excited for it and for the upcoming Warner Bros. needs new franchises to make money since Hunger Games is over -er, I mean Fantastic Beasts film. Here's hoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be cool and leave a comment. Oh, and Beware: there be troll eating dragons!